Thursday, May 5, 2011

Students do the nicest things

I'm just back from my last Public Speaking class of the semester, and my lovely student Nurta Hade brought me a gorgeous Somali butter cake as a gift. I have already cut into it so I borrowed this photo from Somalirecipies.com.

This cake is perfect for breakfast or a snack--not too sweet, and fragrant with cardamom, one of my favorite spices. Nurta also brought me a package of green cardamom pods--they smell like heaven--for making authentic Somali tea.

I recommend both of these treats, especially together!

Somali Butter Cake

4 eggs1 1/4 cups sugar1/2 cup butter; melted1 1/2 cups flour; sifted1 tsp. baking powder1 tsp. cardamom powder1/2 cup milk1. Mix the eggs, sugar, and butter in a bowl.2. Mix in the flour, baking powder, and cardamom.3. Add the milk and mix until smooth.4. Pour the mixture into a greased pan.5. Bake in a preheated oven ( 300 F) for an hour.
*Recipe from Tammy's Somali Home http://tammyssomalihome.blogspot.com/2008/07/butter-cake.html

Somali Tea or Shaah (This is better than any chai you've ever tasted)

2 teabags
6 cardamom pods
6 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
5 thin slices of ginger
2 cups water
1/4 c. sugar
1 cup milk
1. In a kettle, add the teabags and the water.
2. Crush the cardamom, cloves, and the cinnamon using a pedestle and mortar.
3. Add the crushed spices, ginger, and sugar to the kettle.
4. Once it has boiled, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the milk and gently bring to another boil.

*Recipe from Tammy's Somali Home http://tammyssomalihome.blogspot.com/2008/12/shaah-somali-tea-and-somali-sweets.html

I'm addicted to Somali food. If you want to try more delicious Somali recipes, "Tammy's" is an excellent place to start, as well as www.Somalirecipes.com
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Followers