Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Random interesting stuff!



OK, it's been awhile because I've been so busy with fun things! Three new classes--and ONLY three--enabling me to give the students really good attention AND to learn the new online learning format our school has adopted. So far I like it a lot.

I'm going to share some random things that interest me or make me happy!

Here's one--two of my favorite actors, and truly GORGEOUS individuals, with a long-standing marriage (for Hollywood) have a new baby! Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem, congrats!

My love affair with Netflix streaming deepens. I downgraded my membership to the streaming-only version, since I was not too good about watching those DVDs promptly and turning them around. The streaming films are abundant and I've already got a queue of, gulp, 500.

One of my favorites of late is "An Awfully Big Adventure".


The Netflix description: "Set in post-World War II England, this bittersweet coming-of-age tale follows 16-year-old Stella (Georgina Cates), a star-struck lass who joins a low-rent theatre troupe led by cruel monocled director Meredith Potter (Hugh Grant). Immediately smitten with Potter, the impressionable Stella instead ends up in the bed of the company's star, erstwhile matinee idol P.L. O'Hara (Alan Rickman) -- a hopeless bounder -- when Potter rejects her."

I LOVE Alan Rickman and he is sexy and complex in this visually rich film.






Netflix--"Cast out of the house by her grief-stricken father after she accidentally causes the death of her mother, Dina (Maria Bonnevie) is left to raise herself, until a tutor and a wealthy man named Jacob (GĂ©rard Depardieu) intervene. In time, Dina marries Jacob and puts her shrewd instincts to work for his business -- which, upon his suspicious death, Dina inherits over the objections of his two sons. Ole Bornedal directs this epic drama set in Norway."

MUSIC! Harold and I are in love with a new band, thanks to his Three Amigos Trio bandmate, David Masher. Thanks for turning us on to Southern Culture on the Skids, David! This is one of their many groovin' music videos, Soul City. Give it a look and listen. Their bassist is one hot and talented chick with a great selection of wigs and licks.

In the "books I adore" category, I urge you to check out the mysteries of Tana French, all set in or around Dublin.
"Faithful Place" is her latest, and most reviewers regard it as her best. I loved all of her books, however, and read them in quick succession, and did not get much done during that total Tana French immersion. I don't regret it, and I don't think you will regret becoming acquainted with this gifted novelist, who combines complex, well-developed characters with gripping plots. On top of all that, she's a stunning red-haired beauty. Just an observation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Followers